Mushrooms, olives, and capers give this pasta a ton of flavor; it's an easy recipe that is easily prepped and cooked in under 30 minutes. This pasta is also a great way to use up a big bunch of swiss chard or other greens without feeling like you're even eating greens.
- 1 lb. penne pasta, or other pasta of your choice
- 1½ Tbsp + 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 3 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 28oz can diced Italian tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp capers, chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 large bunch swiss chard, rough chopped (about 4-5 cups)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped
- Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1½ Tbsp oil over medium-high in large skillet. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, squeeze lemon juice into skillet, and remove mushrooms and all juices to a bowl. Set aside.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil. Sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and continue sautéing for about 1 minute. Add oregano, chili flakes and garlic powder; stir to combine.
- Add capers, olives and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add wine, reserved mushrooms, and swiss chard. Reduce heat medium low. Let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and add salt if desired (the sauce is naturally very salty due to the olives and capers, so be pretty conservative with your salt at first). Add fresh ground pepper.
- Combine drained pasta with sauce and toss to coat. Top with fresh basil and serve.